ONLY for Voyagin guests! 30% OFF Mobile Wifi Service when you travel in Japan! (Click here for more details)
View some live action at the Sumo Stable in Tokyo, where you can get a close-up view of Sumo training! Get an exclusive photo opportunity with Japan's sumo wrestlers after their training!
- See sumo stars close up, much closer than at tournaments
- Learn about the historical roots of Sumo
- Gain a deeper understanding of Sumo rituals
- Guidance to and from the stable
- Exclusive photo opportunity with the sumo wrestlers after the training
The time listed on your booking confirmation email is your preferred time. Please check the follow-up emails from your guide for the exact meeting time. The meeting point is at the nearest train station. The exact location depends on the booking date and tournament location. Hotel pickup is not provided.
Sumo stables are NOT a place for sightseeing. It is opened especially for sumo fans. As visitors, you have to show your respect for the stable master and wrestlers doing hard training. Please watch quietly and do not move around inside the stable.
Note that sometimes it's not possible to confirm exactly which stable is best for viewing until the previous day, so please check the emails from your guide right up until the tour commences.
Other Important Notes:
- The tour starting time can range between 7:30-9:30 am.
- The sumo stable may be located in Tokyo, Kawasaki, Saitama, Chiba, or Ibaraki. The location is dependent on the sumo wrestlers' schedule.
- The meeting point will be at the station nearest to the scheduled stable. The meeting time and meeting point depend on the sumo wrestlers' training schedule, which can only be confirmed when the date is close, since the wrestlers may change their training schedule according to their needs.
- Children under the age of 12 and elderly people over the age of 60 will not be admitted inside the sumo stable.
- The sumo stable has the right to refuse access to guests who are unable to observe the house manners, and anyone asked to leave the stable will not be able to re-enter
- During busy periods this may be a large group tour (1-4 groups).
- For large bookings, your group may be separated into 2 different stables.
- It is very rare but in the case that the sumo wrestlers are unwell and other unforeseen circumstances, the practice and tour may be shortened.
- There are no restrooms available at the sumo stable.
- For the photo opportunity with the sumo wrestlers, you must stay for the entire duration of the practice. Photographs with the wrestlers will only be allowed after the entire practice finishes.
Seeing the sumo practice was a one of a kind experience - I strongly recommend it!
Extremely interesting and enjoyable, highly recommend this experience.
We met our tour guide at a railway station and then went by taxi to a Sumo stable. We sat cross legged on a slightly elevated platform and watched the sumos stretch, exercise and practice 'wrestling' directly in front of us.
We were joined by other tourists from other tour groups. In total there were probably about 20 of us. We had to sit quietly and observe. We were allowed to take photos throughout the session and at the end we had photographs taken with the Sumo.
It was really amazing being so close to these men and observe their training.
I would highly recommend this experience, it was fascinating and really enjoyable.