ONLY for Voyagin guests! 30% OFF Mobile Wifi Service when you travel in Japan!
(Click here for more details)
Enjoy the highlights of the UNESCO World Cultural Heritage Site of Shirakawa-go village in a bus tour from Takayama!
- See Shirakawa-go, the best preserved farm village in Japan
- Enjoy the view of the famous "gassho-zukuri" style thatched-roof houses
- Choose between a half-day or full-day bus tour
Declared a UNESCO World Heritage site in 1995, the historic village of Shirakawa-go and neighboring Gokayama regions are a must-visit for guests looking to marvel at these world-famous gassho-zukuri houses. While these villages are located in the remote mountains spanning from Gifu to Toyama Prefectures, they make an easy day tour from Takayama.
The term Gassho-zukuri means "constructed like hands in prayer", as it is said that these steep thatched roofs resemble the hands of Buddhist monks pressed together. This unique architectural style was developed over many generations to withstand heavy snowfall during winter, and are an amazing sight to see in person! Some of the houses are over 250 years old, and the roofs, made without nails, provided large attic space used for cultivating silkworms.
If you'd like to see these amazing villages, we can help you arrange half day or full day tours. You can even opt to stay at an overnight stay in one of the farmhouses, which give you much more time to relax and soak in the peaceful atmosphere (request this by sending us a message).
HALF DAY TOUR ITINERARY - Morning tour
08.10 : Bus leaves Takayama station
09.00 : Arrive in Shirakawa-go
09.00 - 11.00: Free time to explore Shirakawa-go
11.00: Depart for Takayama
12.00: Arrive back in Takayama
HALF DAY TOUR ITINERARY - Afternoon tour
13.20: Bus leaves Takayama station
14.10: Arrive in Shirakawa-go
14.10 - 16.10: Free time to explore Shirakawa-go
16.10: Depart for Takayama
17.10: Arrive back in Takayama
FULL DAY TOUR ITINERARY
08.15: Meet at Takayama Nohi Bus Terminal
08.30: Depart Takayama Nohi Bus Terminal
- Explore Gokayama Ainokura Village (50 minutes)
- Lunch at Shirakawago Gassho Shuraku Shiroyama observation tower overlooking the valley. You will be able to get a taste of the famous Ishiwari Tofu of Shirakawa-go.
- Explore Shirakawago village and the Open-Air Museum - Gassho Zukuri Minka-en - with 25 relocated gassho-zukuri buildings assembled in pleasant countryside, some of which have demonstrations of local handicrafts.
15.10: Arrive back at Takayama Nohi Bus Terminal
Takayama station or Takayama Nohi Bus Terminal
- Please check availability before booking
- For the full day tour, buckwheat noodles will be served for lunch. No changes to the menu can be made. People with buckwheat allergies are not recommended to participate. There is also no vegetarian menu available, and the lunch menu might change by the season
- Children 5 years old and younger are free!