See the Shimada Mage (Topknot) Festival in Shizuoka (Sep 17)Voyagin VerifiedMasukkan ke Wishlist
The Shimada Mage Festival is held on the third Sunday of September each year. Women dressed in matching yukata (summer kimono) and a variety of traditional Japanese and Shimada hair styles parade through the streets of Shimada city. You can see them.
- You can enjoy watching Japanese dances.The parade stops to perform dances in Obi-dori Street, the square outside JR Shimada Station and various other locations.
- We follow the parade proceeding to Oi-jinja Shrine.
- At the shrine another dance is performed, dedicated to the Ubusuna deity. Enjoy the atmosphere of the old shrine.
- The parade resumes on to Uda-ji Temple.
- Dances are performed at the temple in honor of Tora Gozen and the Buddha and a thanksgiving ceremony is held in the main temple hall where a variety of Japanese-style hairpieces are on display.