Silver Jewellery Program
Our craft workshops are designed for beginners of all ages. Most of our students have little or no training in craft techniques yet they are able to produce craft pieces of exceptional quality at the end of the workshop. We will try our best to ensure you have an enjoyable time and leave the workshop with new skills to help you pursue your craft interests in the future.
1 Day Course
For those students who do not have much time, we have developed a 1-day course in which you can make a simple and beautiful ring or pendant. After completing the basic program, you can pursue intermediate level projects.
2 Day Course
You can make a simple and beautiful ring and pendant or slightly more complicated design of either a pendant or ring.
5 Day Course
In our five days program we have developed three projects for beginners. Each project has a different level of difficulty. If you are able to complete the three projects before the end of the course you may pursue an individual project in consultation with the instructor.
Project 1: Pendant
For the pendant project you may choose from several predetermined designs. Through direct interaction with the materials and tools and with one to one instructions from the teacher you will learn the following techniques.
- Sawing out graphic shapes
- Filing and refining forms
- Forming a silver dome
- Silver polishing
The project takes about one day to complete.
Project 2: Ring
Learning to make a perfect circular form is one of the most basic and important skills in jewellery making. The circular form can be used for the design of many jewellery objects such as chains, bangles ear hoops and rings. In this project you will learn to form a perfect ring from silver sheet or wire. We will cover the following techniques:
- How to determine the correct size of a ring for any individual
- Torch techniques for soldering. You will solder your ring closed using gas torch
- How to form sheet or wire into a perfect circular form
- Surface decoration and texturing techniques. Metal finishing and polishing
This project takes about 1 day to complete.
Project 3: Stone Setting
Stone setting can be one of the most demanding and rewarding aspects of jewellery making. Through completing one of these two projects you will learn:
- How to select a stone for trouble free bezel setting
- Design considerations for bezel stone setting
- The techniques and tools for bezel setting
- How to solder a bezel setting on to a ring or pendant
This project takes about 2-3 days to complete.