The Voyagin team has screened this host. Learn more
ONLY for Voyagin guests! 30% OFF Mobile Wifi Service when you travel in Japan! (Click here for more details)
You can learn seasonal sweets recipes in a traditional residence of machiya in Kyoto from a confectionery master.
- Learning about ingredients used for making wagashi sweets
- Seasonal recipes which will change depending on the month
- Experience a Japanese traditional building unique to Kyoto called Machiya residence
- The confectionery maker, Ms Moe of Suzumeya gathers ingredients throughout Japan for her seasonal sweets
Pick-up at JR Tanbaguchi Station
What you need to bring
Passion and smile!
- 日本語 (Fluent)
- English (Fluent)
- 普通话 (Intermediate)
After 10 years experience in the field of rural development in Japan, I took a 2 years master course of Agroecology in the university of the Netherlands. Now, I am working for community-based experiential tourism development in rural villages in Japan.
I often travel around rural villages in japan for my research on traditional knowledge, ethnobotany and local cuisine, "kyodo ryori".
I can organize a trip with very unique experience for you in the off-the-beaten rural villages, especially in Kyoto and Nara. It is possible to experience cooking with locals, visit farmers, or stay at a farmhouse.
Please contact me. I can suggest your trip schedule.
Example of special interest theme:
- tea tour (harvesting and processing tea, tea house, matcha poder making, tea museum in Kyoto)
- traditional handicrafts (visit workshops, pottery making experience, kiln in hidden valley)
- culinary experience (food processing workshop such as tofu, soba, yuba, somen noodle, traditional knowledge of food preservation)
- fermented food products (learning how to make sake, shoyu, miso, amazake, pickle, nattou, umeboshi by yourself)
- plant and ethno-ecology (sansai wild plant harvesting and cooking)
- learning rural livelihood (charcoal making, weaving trees, paper making from mulberry plant, silk worm, visit to temple of plant medicine)
- temple stay (meditation, shojin ryori at mount koya)
View full profile
Up to 1 Week Prior