Enjoy a one-day Shimanami cycling tour from OnomichiVoyagin VerifiedAdd to Wishlist
I would like to guide you from Honshu Island to Shikoku Island through various islands and bridges. This route is called “Shimanami Highway” known for its fantastic cycling road.
- The "Shimanami Sea Route" which connects six islands along the way from Onomichi to Imabari City in Ehime Prefecture is a renowned attraction and also offers one of the best cycling roads in Japan. Each island has a terminal for bicycle rental service. You may challenge to ride the length of the Shimanami Sea Route or you can enjoy visiting each island to feel the breeze. Various courses are available according to your time and condition.
- There are a lot of Buddhist temples and Shinto shrines along side the cycling road. So you can look around those with my explanation.
- Innoshima Suigun Pirates Castle and Innoshima Flower Center. Innoshima Island was a base for the Murakami Suigun Pirates. You can see the armor and swords they used in Innoshima Suigun Pirates Castle. Since this island is also known as the Island of Flowers, many kinds of beautiful flowers bloom all around the island especially between spring and autumn.
- A town walk in Ikuchijima Island and Setoda (Kosanji Temple, Ikuo Hirayama Museum of Art, etc.) On Ikuchijima Island, you can enjoy the gorgeous Kosanji Temple and the Ikuo Hirayama Museum of Art where many marvelous works of his art are on display. He is said to strongly represent Japanese artists. This island is also renowned for sweet oranges and fresh seafood.
- The expressway contains ten bridges, including the Kurushima-Kaikyō Bridge, the world's longest series of suspension bridges, and the Tatara Bridge, the world's second longest cable-stayed bridge. It was opened on May 1, 1999, and is 59.4 kilometers long, sporting four lanes and separate paths for pedestrians and cyclists.